July 17, 2008

Joining the Mommy Club

In college, I became a Resident Advisor after seeing the terrible job my own RA did. I just knew I could do better. Thankfully, that's not why I became a mom. My own mother did a great job and I have so much more respect for her now than I ever did growing up. I think the one thing she probably didn't teach me enough about though, was how to handle motherhood.

I didn't know how stupid I'd feel - all the time - during those early months. And I had been a nanny AND a school teacher! But nevertheless, I felt way in over my head. Fast forward two years and I can readily admit motherhood is seldom black and white. I never knew I could worry so much about someone so little. And in the end, what I largely feel, is guilt.

I didn't teach him to go to sleep on his own early enough. I nursed too long (or maybe not long enough?). All those cute baby clothes were the wrong brand for our new town. He isn't involved in enough activities. No, I don't think he's going to go to preschool.

And now baby #2 is on the way and I hate taking prenatal vitamins. The pregnancy journal I've started for her is sorely lacking compared to the first. She still doesn't have a name. And no, we won't tell you what it is when we pick one.

I'd be remiss not to ask the forgiveness of all those mothers out there I judged before I became one. At times you'd seem cold and callous, or overly-protective and strict. Your kids had too many toys, too many clothes, ate crap all the time, were overweight, underweight, mouthy, or undisciplined. You hovered (helicopter mom!) or weren't involved enough, you spoiled them rotten, or let the grandparents do it for you. You only wanted to talk about your kids and never seemed to have anything interesting to say.

So I apologize. Because now I know what it's like. I joined the "mommy club" and realized it can be frustrating, lonely, tiring, and boring. You probably lacked sleep and good food, your house was a mess and you couldn't keep on top of it. You desperately wanted adult conversation but forgot what it was all about.

I know all that now. I'm a mom too. And this is my first confession.

9 confessions & pardons:

Marc said...

I'm so excited! Welcome to the blogosphere!

Cristyn said...

Hey Vanessa! Just wanted to say hello and let you know I stopped by. Since I'm in the Mommy Club induction process for the next several months and will soon receive my full membership status, I'll be back!

Anonymous said...

well, now I'm terrified to join this club!! Good thing you went through it first! I don't know how I feel about this guilt thing...not exciting!

Anonymous said...

So, yeah, after 23 years, the guilt thing never goes away...But, the good news is, the end result is worth it!

Anonymous said...

Vanessa, that's perfect! As a card-carrying member, twice-over, I think I go to sleep at least once a week regreting something I've done or said to one of the kids or something I neglected to do or say. Occassionally I've even found myself asking THEM what they think of my parenting!! How scary and insecure is that??! Forget saving up for their weddings or college, I may as well just set up psych fund for the counseling they're gonna need when they become parents!

I'm looking forward to reading more posts whenever your ready!

Russamoto said...

Yay and Welcome! I am excited to know more about what you are up to! I am oh-so-curious what brands were the wrong brands, too!

Anonymous said...

It's cool ... just way until it's #4. Then you don't do squat for them. Today is Heather's due date for our fourth son ... she still hsan't packed an overnight bag for the hospital. I think we have one photo of boy #3; basically I just cut and paste his head onto all of the pictures of our first son so he'll think we took pictures of him someday.

Dawn said...

matthew's comment is mcnutty. it made me laugh. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Vanessa, I read through your blog, - of course I can't relate to most of it because never been there yet but at least I have the heads up to never read expecting books, think before sitting in Adirondack chairs, and prenatal vitamins are no fun, lol, but besides all that, in my opinion your doing great with your little one, and I think you will do great with your second baby too. love you!