April 16, 2009

MA, ER, CAT, OR

The above is code. For, I missed my daughter's first Easter.

Three weeks ago, I began having pains in my side. I had tried tahini for the first time that day and assumed it was a reaction that would pass. The following day was hubby's award ceremony, so I fought through the pain and guessed it would go away. It did, four days later.

Last Saturday, I began having very similar pains in my side and felt a bit concerned. But I assumed it would be fine to wait until after the holiday to do anything about it. We left for my parents in Massachusetts later than I had hoped, but the kids did well in the car. We decorated eggs and had dinner together, but only Mommy and Daddy wanted to go to bed. That night I felt increasingly worse and did some research online.

First, what's in tahini? Turns out it's made from a sesame seed paste. Well, that got me thinking about diverticulitis. My grandmother had it, and I knew that getting something small - like a sesame seed - stuck in a pocket in your colon, could bring about symptoms. Upon reading that diverticulitis most commonly presents with pain on the left side, and rarely on the right, my thoughts turned to appendicitis.

In the night I awoke twice with nausea and dizziness. I figured it would be best to 'beat the crowd' to the Emergency Room on (33-degree) Easter morning, and we arrived at 8:15. This way I figured they could check me out and send me home in time for Easter dinner. Silly me. We were told right away to expect a CAT scan and a two-hour stay at the least.

All I could think about was my kids. How would they react? What would our Little Miss eat?? Would she take the formula? How soon will they let me go home???

The CAT scan showed inflammation in my appendix, so I was scheduled for surgery right away. I was also scheduled for an overnight stay. So, I missed my baby's first Easter. I know she'll never remember. But I will. I know she doesn't care. But I do. I know all that matters is that I get healthy again. But it matters to me!

The surgery went well. They were able to do it laparoscopically (with a camera), so the incisions are small. I could even wear a bikini if I were so inclined. Like I'd ever be so inclined.... I'm recovering at my parents' house and driving everyone crazy. No, really, I am. It's hard to let everyone do things for you - and harder still when they won't listen to you! But truthfully, they've been great. I just wish I could pick up my daughter when she cries, or wrestle with my little guy on the floor. For now, I just take my ridiculously strong pain meds and yell demands across the room. See? There's a silver lining everywhere.

2 confessions & pardons:

Lynn-nore said...

OH MY WORD!!! I was thinking about you guys on Easter and wondering about your little one's first Easter -- I am SO SORRY to hear that it was such a nightmare for you! You are in my thoughts and prayers! Hang in there!

Dawn said...

WOW! Not at all what I was expecting when you said you had a "story" to tell. So sorry. Heal well.