May 25, 2009

My Husband is The Man

I tell my husband all the time, "Next time around, I get to be the Dad." Dads seem to have it so easy! They sweat through labor with us, hang around at home for a week or so, and then it's back to life-as-normal. Normal job, normal conversations, normal eating, normal sleep...everything seems to stay so dang NORMAL! Then there's the Mom. Crazy new job, goo-goo ga-ga conversations, food on the run, interrupted sleep, and psycho hormones. Nothing will ever be normal again!

I know this is an oversimplification. And I know plenty of Dads who help out all they can. My hubby is one of them. But I still think I would be the Dad the next time around.

My kids can sit and play contentedly for a good chunk of time, unless of course they realize that I'm trying to get something done. Then forget it. They both clamor to get into my lap and wail if the other reaches it first. I don't know how to get anything done!

Last weekend, Daddy let me go back to bed for awhile. When I awoke, the kids were both fed and dressed and ready to go. Huh?? The other night my sister and I left him with two babies and rushed to the store. When we got back, one was asleep and the other was on her way. WHAT??? How is it that I can't get us up and dressed and out the door in under an hour-and-a-half, but Daddy does it, no problem? There go all my good complaints!

"You could never do what I do!" [sigh] Turns out, he can. Fine. But still, I get to be the Daddy next time!

2 confessions & pardons:

becca said...

You've just so eloquently written what i so often feel... love it!

Blueberry Eyes Design said...

Can he come to my house and teach?