October 9, 2008

I'm in Love...with a Little Pink Bundle

She'll be two weeks old tomorrow and life around here has definitely changed pace. It's amazing how quickly such a tiny person can settle themselves into your heart and totally change your life. I didn't want to be pregnant - I didn't want a girl. But now she's here and we're absolutely in love.

Unfortunately, there are times when I feel that it's a distracted love. With two little ones underfoot (or, in arms), I'm already feeling spread thin. And Daddy hasn't even gone back to work yet! I miss Munchkin A and wonder if I'll ever be a good Mommy to him again. Munchkin B has us worried about thrush and reflux and sleeping too much (be careful what you wish for!). These early days are long and tiring, and I know it'll get easier with time...but it's hard not to miss what once was. The days I could plan to a T what was going to happen and where we'd go. The days I could put on a shirt and know it would stay relatively clean til I took it off at night. The days I could wear a normal bra! Sometimes life with baby feels like we're living with a ticking time bomb. A cute time bomb, but a bomb nonetheless.

And I'm amazed at how often my pronouns are wrong. I know she's a girl - but in my thoughts, it's he and his and him. Very strange. Classic example - Mommy: Are you okay little one? Sleepy Daddy: Yeah. Mommy: Not you - him!

We obviously have some adjustments to make.

And then there's the cruelest trick of nature. [Be forewarned conservative readers - brazen comments to follow!] I now have, if not my husband's fantasy breasts, at least mine! The ones I could only dream about when I was 13. Heck - when I was 25! And yet - here's the thing, they hurt! Full and sore and cracked (that's the thrush) - I can walk around shirtless, but my poor husband is powerless to react. Not to worry - nursing only lasts a year!

[Back to our regularly scheduled broadcast] So our lives have changed forever, and most of the time, we're extremely thankful. Exhausted, but thankful. She's here, she's healthy, and she's asleep. What more could we ask for?

1 confessions & pardons:

Dawn said...

Congratulations again on the birth of your precious one. What a busy, unique time. Before you know it, things will settle into its new routine. It won't be the same routine you knew - but you'll get used to it just as quickly. People ask me a lot what it's like to take care of two babies. I say, "You figure out what needs to be done for both of them, and start doing it." :) Now that I've got it mastered (ha!!), we're ready for no. 3. Stay tuned!