November 17, 2008

Mission: Impossible?

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to go food shopping with your infant and toddler in tow.

Just getting out of the house seems to take a miracle these days. With our Little Miss Muffet screaming with gas pain, and our Little Boy Blue taking off his coat and shoes, it took us a good hour just to get out the door.

But then the grocery store didn't have the great cart with the car in the front - so Little Boy Blue was very blue. We tried an alternative - one where he could sit up high and face forward - but to no avail. We emptied our produce into a regular cart and resumed shopping. With LBB alternatively pushing the cart and grabbing things off shelves, I just sighed and thanked God that the Little Miss was still asleep.

And then, just like that, she wasn't.

We went into hyper-drive and threw all sorts of random things in the cart, all the while chanting "please be okay, please be okay." And for awhile she was.

And then, just like that, she wasn't.

She began crying like there was a knife in her side (I promise, there wasn't). At which point LBB decided he'd throw himself onto the floor and start crying "Mommy hold you!" Lovely. I scooped him up and dashed over to the check-out lines. Thankfully we found a short one. And ignoring my two screaming kids, I began throwing things onto the conveyor belt. Done!

I grabbed LMM out of her car seat and managed to calm her down. Only to notice of course, that LBB had decided to pull each and every toothbrush off the rack nearby. And there were quite a few. Back went LMM, dash went Mommy, "WAH!" went LBB.

I paid ($149?!? What did I toss in there?!?) and made a beeline for the door. Now I know why friends with two kids wait til Daddy's home to attempt to buy food.

Mission: accomplished. I think.

7 confessions & pardons:

Marc said...

wow. You are my hero. seriously. But you CAN wait for me, if you want.

Dawn said...

(and you should!!)

Anonymous said...

here! here! Take Marc up on that!! You'll find yourself wandering through the magazine aisle.. very... very... slowly!!!

Anonymous said...

Wait for him, wait for him! I admire you so much, I still think it an accomplishment when I can get a shower in!

Anonymous said...

oh...and I only have one. You are pretty amazing.

Anonymous said...

I waited for Dad to come home and That's how I had to do it. I must confess that I used to take an extra hour to shop at "the Fashion Bug" and catch up on the latest fashions. It helps keep your sanity...
Love you, LBB ,LMM , and Marc

Anonymous said...

im sorrry for laughing out loud,but i really love reading your stories. i know someday you will look back and laugh too and i know it doesnt seem like any time soon.i never had these problem even with 4 kids,a infant a 1,2,3year olds. wish i could help. maybe try to bring something to keep him busy like cookies or those lil cantainers of crackers. something to chew on threw the store. i would go with you to the store and help, but i dont live in your neighborhood.lol