February 8, 2009

Beauty

I once told my mom I had inherited all of her and my dad's worst qualities. I was short, had hair that couldn't decide if it was curly or straight, needed braces and glasses - basically, everything a teenage girl could complain about. My mom was hurt and upset, and now I can understand why. When I look at my tiny girl, I can't help but wonder what her complaints will be. What offhand comment will someone make that affects her whole life? Which features will be analyzed daily in the mirror? What will she beg God to change?

I look at my daughter and see perfection. She's so beautiful. So elegantly crafted. So sweetly designed. I want her to know I think that. I want her to know that it's true - and not just because I'm her mom.

Dear sweet girl - you are beautiful! You were formed in the image of your Creator and He delights in you! He gave you as a precious gift to us and we are so blessed to know you. You are of great value - of high worth. All of your parts were designed with purpose in mind - no matter what you think of them. All of you is beautiful. But beauty is not the greatest part of your worth. You are a child of God and both His princess, and Daddy's. No matter what you do or become, we will rejoice that you are ours. You are perfect in our eyes.

1 confessions & pardons:

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful! You know, I always thought I inherited their worst qualities.
If only we could protect them from the inevitable teens...