February 13, 2009

Happy Birthday...?

This was the one that was never meant to be. I'd die before turning 30!! At least, that's what I always thought.

But now, here it is - my 29 + 1 and I'm not excited. How did I even get here? I know I'm not a teenager anymore, but 30????

It's vanity, I know. "30 is the new 20!" and all that jazz. I think I'd rather stay 29. There's something about that number. It's old enough to feel distinguished - upper 20's and all. Add to that the fact that I'm married and have two kids - heck! I'm all set!

But 30? I mean, we work with a high school youth group! I know they look at us and see so many milestones between us already. But once you're in your 30's you might as well have one foot in the grave! To a teenager, 30 is ancient.

And isn't 30 when you're supposed to have it all together? House, career, savings, all that? Oops. I knew I forgot something.

Hmm, I know what you're thinking - this is too much thinking for one little birthday. What will you do when 40 comes along? Well let me just tell you - I'm pretty sure I won't be alive to hit 40!

3 confessions & pardons:

Anonymous said...

NOT having the house, the career, and the savings is the real reason why 30 is the new 20! :-)

Considering that the average age for getting married is 27 - you're way ahead of the game!! :-)

Anonymous said...

You forgot to consider you could be taken as an example by somebody, which is pretty good for just 30, I think... ,)
Happy Birthday!

Linda

Dawn said...

I'm almost to 30 + 3, and I've gotta say, I really like this "decade". It's all about family, settling, basically NOT doing what I did in my 20's. In other words, I feel like my 30's have been hard-earned. I got my first gray hair a few months ago, and I am pretty proud of it.

Can't wait for more.