August 18, 2008

Junior High, Revisited

We used to live in a city. Everyone around us worked full days for not enough money and rented apartments. We fit right in. Then we moved to a new state and found that our home-owning neighbors seemed to work fewer hours and have more money for, well, everything. After almost two years here, I still feel like an outsider. The worst is probably the mall. Which mall you go to is actually a matter of importance here. And of course, what you wear to the mall. Never in my life have I dressed up to go to the mall. Now I at least think about it.

I realized fairly early on that I wasn't dressing my son right. He'd look all cute in his Carter's or Circo outfit, but we'd walk through the mall with barely a glance. Then one day I walked with a friend who had her little one in Lilly Pulitzer. The women in one store practically fell over themselves, exclaiming "Look how cute she is in her Lilly's!" I took matters into my own hands. One day we walked through the mall with our heads held high. My little guy had on a beautiful coat from Baby Gap and a pair of new Merrells on his feet. Underneath was a sweet Gymboree outfit. The comments were glorious!

But then I realized how junior high this all is. Do I really want my son to grow up feeling that he doesn't measure up if he's not in the latest and greatest? Not really. But I too have found myself lured into this trap. I was the kid who didn't wear jeans until 6th grade. I just didn't care. I also never asked Mom & Dad for a brand-name just-about-anything. So why do I find myself getting all caught up in wanting to fit in?

My parents did their best to help me fight all of that by sending me to a Catholic school where I had to wear a uniform. But don't worry. Private school kids have their own ways of torturing each other.

4 confessions & pardons:

Guilty Mom said...

By the way, you may have noticed there isn't a link for Circo clothing. That's because I couldn't even find a website for them. See what I mean? They must be terrible clothes if they don't have their own web address!

Anonymous said...

Circo is Target. Genuine Kids in K-Mart. Kids Connection is Wal-mart.

You're just hanging out with the wrong crowd ;-)

But seriously... do you guys have http://www.strasburgchildren.com/ They have the most beautiful kid's clothes, but the prices are insane! The clothes look like something a real prince or princess would wear.

Truth be told, I was looking at their clearance rack for your new little one recently, but couldn't find anything that would be the right season. I'll have to keep looking, so you can at least take her out in public!

Dawn said...

This is so funny, I had to click on Lilly Pulitzer to understand what you were talking about.

We're all about the Circo clothes.

The part of kids' stuff that gets me salivating is those cool new strollers. All green and blue and pink and brown and puffy and pretty and patterned.

They started putting those babies out about a year after Luce was born. :) We've still got our beatup mint green animal print (remember when kids' stuff had animal prints!?) stroller.

Though I think by the time we have #3 we'll upgrade.

Anonymous said...

Here's a confession related to your most recent poll....

I've been rallying for naked Tuesday for quite some time now! I just need one day a week where my family does not make MORE dirty laundry while I'm in the process of trying to get washed, dried, folded and put away. For once in my life I'd like to actually be DONE with the laundry!!