August 27, 2008

Mommy Brain

I could picture right where I left it. Fat lot of good that did me. I needed the credit card so they could credit my account when I made the return. But it was at home. By the computer. Where I left it yesterday and saw it this morning!

One more thing to add to my list of "Reasons to be jealous of friends without kids."

Mommy brain is this ridiculous phenomenon where the female brain ever-so-slowly shuts down. It begins in pregnancy and continues on, well past the times when you make goofy remarks your grandkids giggle over. At least, I think that's why my grandmother sounds goofy.

You forget things. You act without thinking. You can't comprehend adult conversations.

So there I was in Wal*Mart begging the lady to give me any option other than a $90 store credit. To no avail. So I did what any other pregnancy-hormone-laden mom would do. I spent the $90 on more Wal*Mart junk.

I tell my husband all the time, "I know I used to be smarter than this!" But maybe not. I really can't remember anymore.

5 confessions & pardons:

Dawn said...

I could have written this post, every word. In fact, I'm a little grateful for pregnancy/mommy brain, because I intend to use it as my reason for every stupid thing I forget, say, or do from here till the day I die.

Sorry that you had to spend that 90 bucks, though.

Anonymous said...

See what you need is a giganto Super Walmart -- where $90 instantly transforms itself into groceries and then disappears into the very mouths that caused you to lose your brain in the first place.

Guilty Mom said...

Dawn - isn't it sad though?? I mean, yes, I agree it's a great excuse. But when I can't remember if I've washed my hair when I'm showering....

And really, the money went towards things we actually needed. Well, I suppose that's stretching it a bit - but we'll use the stuff, how 'bout that?

The worst part was that I got on the phone to complain to my sister and get rid of some frustration, but then a sales guy came and worked right next to me. I couldn't even properly complain!!!

Dawn said...

Mmm, I think after baby No. 2 I stopped worrying about it and decided that laughing about it is easier. Maybe you'll feel the same way.

And as for washing my hair. Hmmm, after No. 2 I stopped worrying about that too.

Kidding!

Anonymous said...

Since I have been pregnant I have NEVER been more frustrated when I shop, for ANYTHING! I can't find my keys, I can find my license, my debit card, coupons, I need water, to go to the bathroom for the 1000th time, I need to sit down! AAAHH! It is so weird, I was never like this, it is so not fun!