August 13, 2008

Mommy Wants a Minivan

Neither my husband nor I have ever bought a car. Between us we've had five cars in the years we've been driving - and they were all given to us. This of course means that we've never had a NEW car - hence five cars in the years we've been driving. On the other hand, they've been a total blessing to us and have helped us out tremendously. We will forever be grateful to our family and friends who gave to us so generously.

Yesterday I was watching a talk show. Baby was asleep, I was tired. Can you hear me trying to justify this? Anyway, they gave a brand-new car away to someone who lost her home in Hurricane Katrina. Very nice gesture - very happy lady. But it made me want to deserve a brand-new car too!

I watch shows like Extreme Makeover: Home Edition and wish they'd knock down my house. But then of course I realize I don't have a kid suffering from some terrible disease (thank God!) and I don't really do anything amazing enough to be recognized! So why would they ever pick me? I'm pretty sure they don't choose people who are young, healthy, and reasonably well-adjusted.

You know, your mom and dad tell you you're special - but obviously, you shouldn't really believe them. Well, not unless you're the one getting the new car. Just be sure to pass your old one to me. I'm pretty sure I deserve at least that.

1 confessions & pardons:

Anonymous said...

Ok, if no one else is going to join V. in her minivan confession, I will. Like you guys T. and I have never bought a new car, we did buy a used car together once, so that sort of counts, but mostly it has been the hand-me-down vehicles -- admittedly, they're awesome vehicles, but still, it's that element of choice that's been removed.

Sometimes people will ask me what I'm driving, as if to say, "so, what made you decide on that make and model? do you like it? should I think about getting one??" And each time, I'm thinking -- I got this because it was given to me -- no choice in the matter, no one asked, just BAM-- here you go. And when someone is offering you a car, you burst into tears of thanksgiving, you don't question the relative merits of the vehicle.

So, and here comes the confession --- I sometimes wish my free, gifted SUV were a minivan. With both my kids having friends and playdates and the like, sometimes it would be nice to have a third row of seats and the ability to easily transport spare kids.

Alas, it's not a need and it's certainly not worth the trouble of getting a new car. And seriously, how often does this issue really come up -- a few times throughout the summer, but still.

I get it.

PS ... missing you guys terribly lately. Hope to get to see you soon. Call me! :-)