December 16, 2008

Feeding My Baby Razorblades

For three months I have struggled to feed her. For three months I have agonized over every feeding. Three months I've cried. Three months she's screamed.

And now we know why. I've been feeding her razorblades.

At least, that's what it feels like inside her tiny little belly.

Turns out baby has a milk protein allergy. And all that nursing, and all those tears. Well, now we have answers.

The long and short of it is that I either need to stop eating all dairy, or we put her on formula and hope she grows out of it. I've decided to continue breastfeeding. For better, or for worse. And I'm really hoping there is no 'worse.'

The irony in all this - and there's plenty! - is that I had just said the following words aloud: "You know, she really seems to be nursing so much better!"

Shows what I know.

2 confessions & pardons:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. It just breaks my heart to hear all that you all are going through. I wish I could offer you some comforting words that would really make a difference. I'm just so sorry you guys are facing such trials right now. Call me! I'm here if you need me. I wish I could just fly up and help out. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Dawn said...

Oh, I'm so sorry too. The razorblade comparison breaks my heart for both of you. But now there's a solution and hopefully a light!!