December 6, 2008

First Date

11 years ago this coming February, we had our first date. We took the subway to Harvard (or, Hah-vid, as I was once in the habit of saying) for a concert. Caedmon's Call was performing and they had two singers open for them: Andrew Peterson and Bebo Norman. It was their first time performing together.

Fast-forward 11 years. In October we celebrated our 6th anniversary. I hunted around for a gift and came across a concert: "Behold the Lamb of God." It's our favorite Christmas album (you can listen to this one year-round!) and I knew he'd love it. Performers included Andrew Peterson and Bebo Norman, among others. I bought the tickets, thinking "baby will be two months old then, things will be fine."

Hubby had a surprise for me on our anniversary. He had designed two "tickets" to the show - and wanted to know if we could go. I whipped out the tickets I had already purchased. It would be a date.

And so tonight we left baby #2 for the first time. She had never successfully taken a bottle. I was on the verge of tears. But we survived. And Mommy and Daddy had a chance to be Husband and Wife for the first time in a long time. A new kind of "first date." And I only thought about the baby a little. Well, a little for me.

4 confessions & pardons:

lesty said...

Oh, my. I am so proud of you guys. It took us until Baby #2 was in college for our first date. Remember, any time you want a repeat night...2 expert baby sitters are available!

Dawn said...

happy anniversary!! it's fun to hear about your past as a couple. :)

Anonymous said...

That's so sweet!!!

Anonymous said...

Yay! Happy first date anniversary!
can't wait to hear about it!