January 3, 2009

Mommy, I'm Hungry!

In my ever-continuing quest to find the best way to grocery shop with two little ones in tow, I set out yesterday for some post-holiday shopping. I've already tried baby-in-bucket-seat, toddler walking, and baby-in-bucket-seat, toddler riding. Neither one was a great choice. Yesterday was baby-in-baby-carrier, toddler riding.

All I can say is, I got everything on my list - except eggs. Somehow I missed the eggs. But there were no impulse buys, no stopping to check out something new. Just hurriedly checking labels for hidden milk ingredients and whizzing up and down the aisles. Saves money I guess.

One thing I did get a lot of, was comments on my kids. "Two little ones??? Wow - God bless you!", "Oh, you look like you've got your hands full!", and "I remember those days!" [note: this was said with much pity in her voice!] Made me wonder why people felt the need to comment. Lots of people have more than one little one at home....

And then it hit me. That's it. Lots of people have more than one little one at home! I seem to be one of the few that attempt something so futile! Someday I'll learn.

The baby-in-a-carrier, toddler riding seemed to work out fairly well. Until baby needed to sleep. Then she cried herself into a stupor and dozed off, leaving me to unload the grocery cart with sleeping baby perched on my chest. No easy feat. And of course, that was with toddler reaching out and grabbing candy by the handfuls and dropping it on the floor.

We made it out alive once again. Tune in next time for another adventure in "Shopping with Little Ones!"

0 confessions & pardons: