January 31, 2009

Back in the Land of the Living

It was like watching an oncoming freight train and knowing there was no escape....

Monkey-Man came down with it first. It was Monday and we were reading a book when he suddenly cried out for Daddy. Then the hand went to the mouth and I knew it was all over. I rushed him to the bathroom...just in time. At first I wondered if it was just an isolated incident. He perked right up when I popped him in the tub. But 15 minutes later, it was happening again. And again. And again. And again. I called Daddy to come home from work - I couldn't possibly balance sick toddler and hungry baby. And that was the beginning.

The vomiting continued for 24 hours. It was terrible. When he showed signs of dehydration, our pediatrician called in a prescription for some serious meds. Thankfully, that did the trick and he was able to start keeping some fluids down. By Tuesday night, I was beginning to think he was finally out of the woods.

Bright and early Wednesday morning, I awoke to the sound of Daddy in the bathroom. Oh no....it wasn't going to be just one of us. I knew it was going to hit all of us - and hard. Daddy spent most of the day on the bathroom floor, trying hard not to pass out - and probably wishing for a quick death. I knew I needed to call for backup.

I invited my mother-in-law to come and die with us. Inviting her to her doom was not pleasant, but I didn't know what else to do. If Daddy and I were both too sick to move, who would take care of the little ones? She graciously accepted the offer, figuring she wouldn't get sick and could take care of us all. Before she arrived, the Little Miss became victim #3. Dear God, no.....

I ran around all day making sure everyone was cared for, and trying to get ready for my own impending doom. Thankfully at least, the Little Man was beginning to feel like his own precocious self once again.

Thursday morning I awoke feeling lousy. This is it. Dear God, please, have mercy! All I could think about was getting dehydrated and not being able to feed my little one. What then? How could I monitor her for dehydration if I was posted in the bathroom? Somehow, the sickness seemed to have lost its intensity by the time it hit me. Something like the way a hurricane dies down with time, going over land. Thank you God! I felt lousy all day, but couldn't do much about it - two little ones wanted me at all times.

My mother-in-law was a trooper. She washed laundry and dishes. Entertained little ones. Made toast and rice and soup and jello. For the first time in...ever, really...I was glad she was sticking around. On Friday when Daddy had to go back to work, his mom wound up sick in the bathroom. She wanted to go back to her own house so she wouldn't reinfect anyone - but I went into panic-mode thinking about being home alone with my little ones! What if...what if...what if???? She stayed on for moral support.

One of the stories I read to my son during this time of illness came from his Beginner's Bible. It told of a man who had so much faith in Jesus' power, that he asked Jesus to simply say the word and the man's servant would be healed. Jesus was, after all, in charge of the illness and it must obey Him. It was a good reminder to me during these turbulent days. I prayed that Jesus would once again, simply say the word and heal us all. And after hearing so many others talk about their own horrible two-week long (or longer) experiences with the same thing, I feel blessed indeed.

Only one last thought to add: when my stomach was at its worst, I prayed
God, if this has to be the stomach bug or pregnancy, PLEASE let me get the bug!

1 confessions & pardons:

Anonymous said...

You poor things!! That sounds awful!! ugh. It's the wishing you could just pass out that's the worst. I'm glad to know that you guys are coming back around to the land of the living. Sorry I couldn't get to the phone the other day -- I was on another call and couldn't get free. We need to catch up!! I really miss you!