June 20, 2009

But I Don't Want To Share!

When I turned 4, my parents gave me a very special present: a new baby sister! Born the day before my fourth birthday, my little sister was a sweet little bundle of joy...for everyone but me. When they brought me (and my other sister) to the hospital to meet the newest addition, I refused to look at her. They told me she looked just like me, but I wanted nothing to do with her. You better believe my mom used THAT one against me for years!


I don't know what it was. I was only four! But my thought is that I knew that this baby had taken my mommy away on my special day. And now there was nothing I could do. I was stuck, sharing a birthday, for the rest of my life. I should add here that I have two cousins (also sisters) who were born the same week. So the FOUR of us would have shared birthday parties. Yikes! And to top it all off, everyone felt bad for my other sister, so they'd get her gifts too! I couldn't win!

Fast-forward a few years (or more). This year, Mother's Day was the day after hubby's birthday. And Father's Day is just before our Little Man's birthday! Poor Daddy! He's had to share both this year! It's lousy. And I know all about it.

So what's the big deal with sharing anyway? We tell our kids they have to share. Comments on preschool report cards mention things like "shares well with others." When my son gives something to his little sister, I'm quick to point out "good sharing!" But come on. When do we really need to share as an adult?

We work in cubicles. Our space is sectioned off so no one else can come in and mess with our stuff. I drive my car, you drive yours. In churches, people have their "pet pews" and get upset if someone else sits there. We might share a popcorn at the movies when we're dating, but once you're married, it's every man for himself!

Kids are expected to share their favorite toys, their "loveys," even their mommy when a new baby comes along! I'm thinking it's overrated. Yeah, yeah, I'll teach my kids to share. That way they'll have gotten the life lesson we're supposed to teach them. But secretly, when we're at the park, and some little kid takes our ball, just know I'll be thinking, "you give that back little punk...it's MINE!"

6 confessions & pardons:

Dawn said...

I absolutely love this post. It's funny 'cause it's true.

szielinski said...

I just had a shared birthday party for the boys two weeks ago! I vowed not to - but it just makes sense, since their bdays are so close together! They just may hold it against me in the upcoming years . . .

The Little Sister said...

Well, Miss I don't like to share...think of it this way, at least you got your first few birthdays and even years (with Mom and Dad) to yourself. I've had to share every single birthday I have ever lived with my big sister. And to add salt to this wound - lets just say the family decides to celebrate our birthdays the day after my birthday...which happens to be who's birthday? If I even think to mention that its my birthday celebration on that day...I get yelled at and told - "ur birthday was yesterday"..so lesson to all, if you don't have to hold your children's birthday's together, don't...

ok so now I feel like I have to tell you I love u and am not mad at you after all of this venting....

Guilty Mom said...

Ohhh, you poor thing!

Ahem. Let me clear some things up for you Little Sister. First - in case you forgot, I was born on our uncle's birthday. So those 3 birthdays before you came along were shared too! And what's this about "years" alone with Mom and Dad?? They were pregnant again before I even turned one! In fact, they probably found out right around my first birthday and started 'celebrating.' Ewww!

The Little Sister said...

So a better response to this would have been, "ok little sister I love you too, I don't hate you for being born on the day before my birthday since you aren't the one who got to make this decision"..

Guilty Mom said...

Ok little sister I love you too, I don't hate you for being born on the day before my birthday since you aren't the one who got to make this decision.

Seriously - I feel flattered that you wanted to be like me SO much that you decided to be born right before my birthday!

Love you baby girl!