June 15, 2009

Soy and Dairy Free (or, Mommy Got Back!*)

It's been 6 months since I've given up all dairy and soy products for the sake of my sweet baby girl. She was diagnosed with MSPI (Milk/Soy Protein Intolerance) on the morning of December 15th, and since then my diet has radically changed. Gone is the cheesecake. Gone is the cheese for that matter. Milk, butter, most bread, luncheon meat, my favorite cereal, fettuccine alfredo, Mac & Cheese, raviolis, lasagna, and so much more. Instead, I eat lots of organic food, and thankfully, ice cream(!) made from coconut milk.

At the last midwife appointment before my daughter was born, I weighed 160 lbs. Today I weigh in at 106. I feel great. I have more energy. I'm excited about how my body looks - I even think my butt is cute!* And I've never thought that before - EVER!

So what will I do when my daughter is done nursing??? I'm guessing I'll have a night out - hopefully a nice romantic dinner with hubby - I'll order every dairy product I've missed: alfredo, cheesecake, a tall glass of milk, some kind of cheesy bread, and some serious ice cream. I'll be sick for days, and then go back to dairy-free living. I haven't quite decided on the soy yet - it opens up so many options if you can have it. We'll see. I'm sure part will depend on whether or not our Little Miss Muffet has outgrown the allergy. And on whether or not the pounds start piling back on. 'Cuz lemme tell ya, 106 is so much nicer than 160!

*I can't believe I'm writing this - it's really stinking late!

2 confessions & pardons:

szielinski said...

106 pounds! I guess that is your reward for being so unselfish and sticking with the nursing through everything!

Anonymous said...

...so jealous I can't even think .....

but the sacrifice you've made for it is UNBELIEVABLE! You are an AWESOME mom!

Most of us (parents, that is) are never asked to give up anything more than our time (and sometimes our energy). You made the tough decision and your reaping some extra personal rewards!

way to go!!