June 24, 2009

Crunchy Granola

In college, there was a certain group it was just easy to label "crunchy granola." They wore Birkenstock sandals and made a compost pile. They had scarves in their hair and talked about social justice. And this was WAY before our former Vice President scared everybody with global warming. They were green when people associated that color with jealousy. And I was nothing like them.

Today I'm still not what one would call a "tree-hugger." But I did have natural childbirths. And then I breastfed my babies. Wore them in slings. Fed them organic foods. Heck, I cut all dairy and soy out of my diet! And now, the final straw - I think I'm about to become a vegan.


For 30 years I've enjoyed meat of all kinds. But this afternoon, I'm sorry, I just couldn't take it anymore. I was having leftover pasta for lunch, and hubby had purchased a new sauce - sausage and garlic. I was shocked that the sausage was something I could eat...and then my brain went a whole new route. When did they bottle that sauce? When was that animal killed?? HOW LONG HAS THAT DEAD ANIMAL CARCASS BEEN SITTING IN THAT SAUCE????

Disgusting, I know. I'm sorry - truly I am! I'm sure you've all heard vegetarians and vegans spout off their rhetoric about cruelty to animals and all that craziness. It wasn't about any of that for me today. Just that one thought. I was afraid I'd be sick.

So, who knows...I like a burger as much as the next guy. But I may have crossed over the imaginary line separating those who think about the meat they (don't) eat, and those who don't. Careful - I might be ordering some Birks just yet!

5 confessions & pardons:

Anonymous said...

Ok, wait a minute, hold everything!! STOP! There is a WORLD of difference between bits of supposed "meat" canned into enough tomato-based sauce and preservatives to keep it fresh for a year AND a steak cut straight from the butcher... maybe you just need to find a good source for fresh meat and skip the pasta sauce! There must be some sort of local butcher-type thing somewhere in Hartford so that you're not worrying about how long the meat hung in the back of Stop N Shop before you bought it!

Please, don't become a vegan... I'd have to order you the birks myself!

Marc said...

Thank you Lynn-nore.

Yes. Please. No vegans in my home... please.

Guilty Mom said...

I'm sorry sweetie - I think I may have come to a crossroad...

Anonymous said...

It's a crossroads -- turn RIGHT -- toward the COWS (and pigs and chickens!)

Unknown said...

Hey it's Kell, finally I'm here. Does this mean we'll never be able to have you over to eat again. Maybe I could pluck some leaves off the tree in the back yard if you get hungry. lol It's ok to each her own. Do what feels right.