June 9, 2009

This Is NOT A Competition!

My husband is a younger brother. It has shaped who he is. In particular, it has shaped how he views interactions with others: everything is a competition! When we were first dating, we'd share a package or two of Ramen noodles and eat them together - straight out of the pot. [Gross, I know. But we had little-to-no money and didn't want to do dishes!] And I remember always feeling like it was a race. So we'd wolf it down and never talk about how we were racing to eat MORE, MORE, MORE! Yeah. We talk about it now.


He also enjoys competition with himself. How can he do something better the next time? So it should come as no surprise then, that this past weekend he let me sleep in again. This time he fed the kids, got them dressed, and then started to clean the house. No joke. I told him we've gotta keep this up! What'll it be next time? Breakfast in bed? Laundry and dishes done? You know, a girl could get used to this!

3 confessions & pardons:

Mariposa said...

Whoah!

That is good news...and I have a feeling IT Guy will do the same. Geezzz...he breathes competition, even with my nephew now! Who are we to refuse a break?! ;)

Jolls said...

Man, my boyfriend (the youngest of three) is totally like that. Even if he doesn't mention it, he'll try to do something better than anyone, including himself! Totally a little brother thing :P

Guilty Mom said...

Mariposa - I agree - I'm not about to refuse any break I'm offered!

Jordan - get out while you can!!! No, I'm just kidding. Being with a little brother has all kinds of wonderful perks!