November 9, 2009

I'll be at Target if You Need Me!


When Target first opened, I remember thinking they were just like Wal*Mart, only more expensive. Little did I know....

I'm now a Target-fanatic. Friends and family are constantly amazed at how much I save there (and hubby is dismayed by how much I spend there). A few secrets I've learned along the way:

Okay, Target marks their items down just 15% at first. Soon they're at 30% off, then 50, 75 next and 90 if there's anything left. Where do you find all the clearance items? Start at the end-caps.

When I head into Target, I always do a quick peek at the Dollar Spot. If there's something I love, I grab it. I once got a ton of hair elastics (name brand too!) in this section and knew it was best to buy them right away. If you can wait, you might as well, stuff gets marked down to 50% all the time. There's big turnover in this section.

Next I head towards the back of the store. Your best bet is to walk the perimeter of the store, then the "inside" end aisles. You'll spend more time this way, but grab some great bargains! Don't be afraid to price-check! Things are marked 30% off when they're really 75% off! That's the best. I've gotten a bunch of Playmobil toys this way!

Looking for candy after Halloween? It'll be 50% off right away - so grab your favorites while you still can! Costumes and accessories are also marked down pretty quickly.

Christmas is my favorite. If there's something you really need or absolutely adore, grab it after Christmas at 30% off. If you can wait, hold off through the 50% off sale until things hit 75% off. There's nothing like getting $10 items for $2.50...unless of course you can get them for a dollar! This is the hardest thing to do - hit the after Christmas 90% off sale. It's one morning only - and I promise, stuff flies. The one year I managed to hit it just right, a Target employee was heading to the back room and pulling out things that never even made it onto the floor. He just stood there handing it out to all of us drooling shoppers. It was fabulous.

Toys are a different matter. There are two big toy sales in the year. The after-Christmas sale and the Christmas-in-July sale. This is a great way to stock up. When you notice toys starting to get marked down and moved around, you know the sale is right around the corner. Grab what you love at 30 and 50% off, then fight off friend and foe for the 75% off sale. All it takes is a few hours and the shelves will be cleared!

Your best bet for anything at Target is to wait and watch. Keep an eye on sales. Feel free to call ahead and ask what the sale percentage is that day. Know that even though it's a national chain, each store manager gets to decide the details. This can mean paying less at one Target than another. Try to pay with your debit card or the same credit card every time. Target's return policy is lousy, but you can do a price look-up if you have the correct card.

If you have to spend money, you might as well enjoy it! Happy shopping!

3 confessions & pardons:

heidi mason said...

okay.....a little tooooo much time at target???!!!
although, you have passed out some good advice!
now, let's all see what happens on your blog after thanksgiving! who will get the best deal??

BlueberryEyesDesign said...

My target is nothing like yours....I just know it. It's a great thing you're my sister and you buy things for me there too!

Guilty Mom said...

Heidi - You know, I have never gone to Target the day after Thanksgiving...but then again, I hate shopping on Black Friday!