November 29, 2009

Answering Your Questions

Okay - it's the end of the month and I haven't answered the questions/ideas suggested here. So, here goes:

Homeschooling: I was a first grade teacher. I had a couple of homeschool kids who would come into my classroom a few days each week. It was madness. The kids were quirky and some had a very difficult time adjusting to the classroom setting. My favorite memory of this was when I told one kid to take a seat and he let me know that he already had a chair at his desk. Yeah. I think homeschooling is a decent option IF you have a good network. Get connected, teach each other's kids, do a bunch of social things together. If you can't - skip it! As for me, I have no current plans to homeschool, but when I say "never," it's like I'm testing fate. So I guess I'll leave it at 'it's not my plan!'

Movies: Some favorites - Gone With the Wind. It's classic. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Isn't Dopey so cute? A Christmas Story. It cracks me up. Uhh, I don't know. I never liked this question. There are movies I could watch a million times. Some because I need a good cry (Steel Magnolias, Fried Green Tomatoes), some because I want to laugh (It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World). If you ask me the same question tomorrow, I might actually have a decent list.

Trinkets: I used to save everything. Then I cut down to things I would scrapbook someday. Now I toss it all. Well, okay not all. There are a few things stashed in the babybooks, a pile of cards from hubby that need to go into our shoebox.

Inspiration: great question.

Prague Wedding: was awesome. I had a blast. I was even able to introduce the idea of tapping the champagne glasses to get the couple to kiss! One thing they did that was different from here - after the ceremony, someone broke a plate that the couple had to sweep up. It's the first work they do together as a married couple. Congrats again Ada & Petr!

eMi: "Engineering Ministries International (EMI) is a non-profit Christian development organization made up of architects, engineers and design professionals who donate their skills to help children and families around the world step out of poverty and into a world of hope." My baby sister Alicia is an Interior Designer. She's been working for an architectural firm for the past few years and recently started feeling that God was calling her to use her talents to serve the poor. She will be working with eMi out of their Colorado headquarters starting in January. This is a five-month commitment, and she needs to raise approximately $6000. During her time with eMi, she will travel to Africa to begin work on a project. If you are interested in helping to support her, please check out the eMi website. Every little bit helps! Thank you in advance!

Okay. So there's some answers. If you have more questions, let me know!

And remember - tomorrow is day #30! Thanks for following along!

5 confessions & pardons:

Guilty Mom said...

If you'd like to donate, be sure to download the volunteer/intern commitment card & mention my sister's name - Alicia Ventura. Thanks!

heidi said...

keep going.....don't stop!!!!! you can do it!!!!
come on-- go for DecBloPoMo!!!!! you could finish 2009 with a 2 month streek (or however you spell streak?)
i'll give you a bunch of 1 word ideas & then voila!!

Dawn said...

I think our plan of attack for trinkets is similar. Like you, I used to save everything. Now, I try to keep it to the bare essentials. They are either pinned to my bulletin board or placed in a pile on my "craft table", which, I can assure you, has never, ever been used to make a single craft.

Malina said...

You also have to put on the commitment card her number: VENTURA-2801

Alicia said...

Thanks for writing about EMI, I really appreciate it!