November 8, 2009

Things I Missed

I tell everyone I was in a coma during the 80s. I might as well have been. Friends talk about the things they remember and I just sit there, clueless. It's almost like I'm an alien observing what Earthlings experienced as children.

-Thundercats - this seems to be a favorite. I still couldn't tell you the name of any of them.
-Michael Jackson - a childhood friend had his poster in her room. It gave me nightmares.
-Snorks - they lived underwater and were blue. Or was that the Smurfs?
-The Goonies - evidently a cult classic movie. I still haven't seen it.
-Transformers - "robots in disguise" That's all I know.
-HeMan and SheRa - She was the "princess of power." I only know that because someone gave me a toothbrush holder that told me that every time I brushed.
-Garbage Pail Kids - I only remember the packages of trading cards in the convenience store. Why ruin something as cute as Cabbage Patch Kids?
-PeeWee's Playhouse - this one gave my sister nightmares
-The A Team? Knight Rider? Debbie Gibson?

All I know is, we looked stupid [we don't say that word Mommy] back then, and I can't believe they're pushing those styles once again!

6 confessions & pardons:

Marc said...

My favorite 80's things:

*A-Team is definately up there.
*Fraggle Rock
*The Animalypics on HBO
*The Princess Bride ('87)
*Growing Pains
*Cosby Show
*Gummibears!
*Saturday Morning Cartoons have never been better!
*Colorforms
*Lightbright
*After School Cartoons were great too. (Rescue Rangers, Ducktales)
*Mask (not the movie, the cartoon)
*Original Star Wars toys
*Colecovision
*Rubix Cube
*ALF
*Dallas

Things I didn't necessarily like, but remember:
*Shirt-Tails
*Teenage Mutatnt Ninja Turtles

heidi mason said...

i think you should add 'the goonies' to a movie night with your hubby....although i'm not sure i remember anything about it??!!

BlueberryEyesDesign said...

no! Don't watch Goonies!! it's awful! I think it's like Newsies, one of those movies you have to watch as a kid to love, and you grow up loving it. So, while we were watching Newsies, everyone else was watching Goonies, Thumdercats, and ummm..what were the other ones? I've forgotten what they were already!

BlueberryEyesDesign said...

Wait, Marc, Colorforms was a real thing??!! I thought it was just what we did at night when we didn't want to go to sleep. We'd press our hands to our eyes and watch the colors behind our eyelids and make up scenes we saw happening. Wow! What bubble did we grow up in?!

Anonymous said...

Don't forget:

*Shrinky-Dinks
*Atari
*Commodore 64
*Apple 2E
*Family Ties
*Ricky Shroder
*Back to the Future

ah, the list goes on and on...but the clothes should be burnt and banned! I'm afraid that by the time Kara's in middle school flourescent colors will be back and she'll be wearing stir-ups and oversized sweatshirts in high school.

Dawn said...

I love both The Goonies and Newsies. Make of that what you will.

80's for me were all about:

Cyndi Lauper
Michael Jackson
Madonna (though she was off limits in our house)
Kids Incorporated
rubber bracelets
homemade lanyards

MTV (again, not allowed)
the start of the Simpsons craze
The Karate Kid
the Challenger explosion
the LA Olympics ('84?)