November 3, 2009

Useless Information

My son can tell you the names of all of Sir Topham Hatt's trains. He can glance at a picture and know exactly which one it is. Edward. Percy. Toby. Sir Handel. Skarloey. This boggles my mind. I have to study the pictures and still sometimes get it wrong! It's bizarre to me - but of course, totally fits in with his little world.

I, on the other hand, seem to have collected so much useless information over time, that my brain is jam-packed and can't handle having anything else put in there! I know lyrics to songs that haven't been on the radio in 15 years (or more). I know why pelicans turn pink. I can recognize the stench smell of ladybugs from a mile 10 feet away. I remember the phone number of my best friend from second grade.

I don't remember where I put the pacifier. I couldn't tell you what I did with that sticky note. I have gone to the store for 5 items and forgotten 2 of them by the time I get there. I walk from one room to the next and don't remember what I went in there for. I'll be in the shower and suddenly can't recall if I've already shampooed my hair! It's terrible!

How do I empty my brain of all the useless stuff so there's room for the important stuff? My brain is a sieve. I need to drain the junk, then plug up the holes and start again! Goodbye Tiffany lyrics, hello kids' social security numbers!

5 confessions & pardons:

Guilty Mom said...

While I was typing this post, hubby asked where the remote was. NO CLUE!

Dawn said...

I love this post; it's so hilarious. And well-written!

BlueberryEyesDesign said...

I love when they ask for the remote, because you know who the last person to have it was!!! Not me!!

This post IS hilarious, and sadly, too true!

BlueberryEyesDesign said...

I was just thinking, before I became a mom, I taught full time, once a week at another school and babysat at random. All the while taking care of my own home(well...kind of). None of that stressed me out. Now, I can't even handle planning for 1 hour of teaching once a week before I start to feel panicky and as though I am taking on too much! What's the deal??

Anonymous said...

If you EVER figure this one out you have to tell me -- I was convinced that song lyrics were the reason I couldn't retain high school chemistry lessons -- too much useless junk in there already, no room in the inn!