November 19, 2009

The Only Thing We Have to Fear Is...

Our Little Man has recently displayed a fear of monsters. I have no idea where this came from. We don't talk about monsters - we don't read about monsters. I think he's only been exposed to Elmo, Grover, and Cookie Monster, and while he doesn't like the blue ones, he certainly has never been this afraid.

So what am I afraid of? I remember playing a game in high school and answering that question with "giving birth." Well, I never want to do it again, but it's no longer on my list. In college my answer was "living a life without passion." Unfortunately, I think I may be there....

Some things I'm afraid of:

-big dogs
-cats who just stare at you
-drinking the last sip of anything my kids have shared with me
-finding someone I love dead
-heights
-diving
-the dark when I'm home alone
-psychological thrillers (my brain can go to some really crazy places)
-having someone drop by when my house looks like, well, how it usually looks
-bad things happening to my kids
-having to live in this house FOREVER

I'm sure there's more. But that's just a little peek into my crazy, twisted mind!

2 confessions & pardons:

BlueberryEyesDesign said...

Interesting....some of my fears:
baby girl rejecting anything but water in a cup and stuck nursing forever!
someone coming into my house at night and not be able to get to my little one in time
the dark when I am home alone
living far away from family forever
scary movies, previews, commercials
something horrible happening to someone I love
and there are more I am sure, but at the moment...my biggest: my little one not taking a nap!

Anonymous said...

A few thoughts on the Little Man and monsters --

1) Have you tried "Monster Be Gone" ? It comes as an invisible spray and is administered in closets and under the bed and in the air with a gentle pumping wiggle of your index finger. Similar invisible products including Ghost Be Gone and Kid Be Gone are also recommended. :-)

2)Have you asked him which day of creation God made monsters? When he figures out that God didn't make them, then you just tell him that if God didn't make them -- they don't exist!

Hang in there!