November 4, 2009

Today I Opted for Brain Damage


We've been sick for days. I think I slept an hour straight last night. There's nothing worse than watching your baby struggle for a decent breath and knowing you can't do a thing about it.

I've been in the house since Sunday night. My head hurts. My body aches. I'm hot - then freezing - and back. Daddy is totally fine of course.

When Baby Girl went down for her morning nap today, I immediately turned to my Little Man and asked if he wanted to watch Sesame Street. The suggestion was met with much excitement. It was 10:30 - perfect. The Elmo segment. Quick half hour nap should do it. I had on a sweatshirt zipped all the way up - hood covering most of my face - and mummified myself in blankets.

Next thing I knew it was almost noon and we were watching Word World. Oops. "Time to turn the TV off!" I sang. No response. I'm not sure he even flinched. "Hello! Let's turn this off now Buddy!" Nothing.

Great.

So, today's question of the day was - which is more important? Mommy feeling rested and healthy, or avoiding irreversible brain damage? Today the choice was way too easy.

3 confessions & pardons:

Guilty Mom said...

I know I'm being hard on myself here. I know sometimes it's the only thing you can do to save your sanity. It's just that I was such a great mom...before I had kids.

Cristyn said...

You ARE a GREAT mom. As someone very wise told me, realizing when you need to take care of yourself makes you a GREAT mom. You can't meet your kids needs if you're distracted by your own needs. You needed rest. Good work, mom! (And I'm pretty confident that the hour and a half of television is NOT going to cause your adorable son any damage to his brain!)

BlueberryEyesDesign said...

I have to say, I am laughing at this post! It is so true...I was a good mom too, before I became one. I am a good mom to a 2 yr old and up...that is until my little one turns 2! ugh. Well I think you did the right thing too. You really do need to take care of yourself too!
Hope everyone is doing better today!