November 1, 2009

There's No Place Like Home...?

The day we returned home from the hospital after having our son, there was a message on our answering machine. Our landlord was selling the house. Eight days postpartum, we had strangers trampling through our apartment, past our sleeping infant. It was awful.

We searched high and low for another apartment. We literally looked at a dozen apartments or more, but nothing fit. Rent was too high, there was lead paint in the walls, cats were not allowed...there was always a reason why it didn't work out.

Only one door remained open. My mother-in-law continued to ask us to move into the house she rented - and we continued to say no. I told numerous people that I would rather live in my car than move into that home. It wasn't the house itself. I had never even seen it! It was just that I couldn't imagine paying rent to my M-I-L and, let's be honest, live so close to her!

Three years later, I can tell you that it's not gotten much easier. We moved into this house when our Little Man was just 4 months old. I knew it was the right decision, even though I had only seen photos of the place I would call home. I figured God must have big plans in store - but clearly this could only be a stepping stone to something - anything! - else, right?

When I got pregnant again, I told my husband we were "not supposed to have a baby here!" How could it be possible we've now been here for over 3 years? Guess it was a bigger stepping stone than I once thought.

I hate having people over the house. In fact, if you've been in my house, you're one of only a handful. I've put so little of myself into my home. Since the beginning, it's never felt like "mine." It doesn't belong to me, I can't do what I want with it (no matter what hubby says!). It can be stifling at times.

We've begun looking at houses for sale. It's an exciting, although definitely scary, prospect. For the first time, we'd be able to make all the decisions. If we wanted a brick red room with peach polka dots, we could do it! I mean, we never would, but we could! I get almost dizzy with excitement just thinking about it.

My living room doesn't even have curtains! What would we do with a place that was really ours?
Curtains are just a beginning. Ultimately, my dream is to have a place that I feel comfortable in - a place I feel comfortable inviting others into, because it's an expression of who I am, and who our family is. Someday, I hope to feel free enough to say - drop by anytime! - and really, truly mean it. I want a place we can all call "home."

Don't forget to check out Dawn's blog -
another one crazy enough to attempt 30 posts in 30 days!

8 confessions & pardons:

BlueberryEyesDesign said...

I am so excited for you guys too. I really hope that you can find a place to call home. I think it would make a big difference!

Nonna said...

Keep praying and looking you will find something... While your looking hang up those curtains it will make you feel better.
love to all of you!

melissa said...

The perfect home will come along... but for us, it always takes longer than I'd like. I hope you find yours soon!

Guilty Mom said...

Blueberry Eyes Design - thanks, I think so too!

Nonna - I don't even have curtains!

Melissa - Isn't it the waiting that's hardest of all?

Dawn said...

We rent, too. We recently extended our lease another 2 years. Buying's not an option right now. And I just realized we've been at this address longer than any other since we've been married. I find that interesting.

Our living room is curtain-less as well. I really feel where you're coming from with this post!

Kata said...

There are lots of beautiful houses in Praha... ;-)
Good luck with searching!

Guilty Mom said...

Dawn - I guess it's knowing that this is where God has us for awhile that makes me want to say, "okay. We're here. Let's really BE here."

Kata - There really ARE some beautiful homes in Praha. I hope someday to be in that neck of the woods!

Unknown said...

Hey love~
Take this for what it's worth. We've now been in this house for 23 years (we moved here when I was preggers with Abs). I had great plans back then, new rugs, doing something really awesome with the living room, etc.... Here we are, basically trying to fix up the place so when God sees fit to move us near my parents in RI, the house will be presentable enough to sell it.
We had a 5 year plan to be here, then start building the dream home in RI. 5 yrs. turned into 10, etc. Still here.
As I look back over the years, all the things that gave me joy in this house, had nothing to do with our physical house...including the disgusting kitchen floor, or the furniture that never was in the living room, and no curtains...(much to the dismay of our neighbors, which we flash on a regular basis). The joy came from all the ways God allowed us to use this house...to welcome the girls friends, to have the youth group over, to do those craft projects that made such a mess of the carpet that we didn't care about. You can be sure the girls' friends lived in gorgeous houses, yet, oddly enough, they all wanted to come here. The part of 'you' in the house, has so little to do with the decor or the color of your walls. It is your love and joy, seen in your children and your hubby...The place that you call 'home' can be a cardboard box, if that is where God has you, for now. Be happy, love. God has a plan for you...that may or may not include a house, but will be the best. OK, I'll stop preaching. I love you all very much!