November 14, 2009

My Dad

I didn't understand my dad until I was an adult. That's when I realized he loved me all along.

As a child, my dad never seemed to be around much. But that's what happens when you work 6 days a week to support your wife and 4 kids. I remember praying that he'd have a "5-day work week." I didn't really know what that meant, but I prayed it every night.

The childhood memories I have of my dad include the time he took my sisters and me on a nature walk. The time my baby sister fell off the top of the bleachers and he prayed out loud that God would save her. I remember my dad taking us for a canoe ride and being afraid my sister would tip us all over.

As an adolescent, my dad and I finally shared an interest: basketball. He poured into me like never before and I was so thankful for the attention. When my point guard days were over, I thought his interest in me was as well. He was still around, but it wasn't the same.

When I first moved 'away' to college [20 minutes from home], my parents would call me all the time. Just to check in, just to say hello. I remember how awkward those phone conversations were. They reminded me of how little I knew my own father. I never knew what to say.

The first Christmas after I got married, my husband and I spent Christmas Eve at my parents' home. My dad made sure we were all set for the night and then left the room. I pointed out to my husband that it was the first time my father had shut one of his daughters in a room with a guy - and he had to be okay with it (even though he probably wasn't!).

Since then, I've come to realize how my dad shows love. He's a huge gift-giver. He loves finding things that he knows we'll love. He's always on the lookout for something that will make us happy. My dad is happiest when he's surrounded by his kids and grandkids. And he shows that happiness by puttering around his garden. Every time we leave, he shoves $20 at us for gas - no matter what we say to dissuade him.

I love my dad. He coached my mom on the day I was born. He coached me in sports. He taught me how to work hard for those you love, even if you don't love what you do. He and my mom have been married for 35 years - and I am so blessed because of that.

My dad makes dumb jokes and we groan. But I married a man who does the same thing. I've told my husband I wish he was more like my dad around the house. When my mom asks for something, my dad gets up and takes care of it. Hubby tends to want to wait til a commercial. Or the next day.

Dad - I love you. Thank you for loving me and loving my family. I'm so thankful for the hard choices you made and the harder work that you did. I hope I've made you proud. You are an inspiration to me.

3 confessions & pardons:

BlueberryEyesDesign said...

This post brought tears to my eyes! We do have such a great dad!

Nonna said...

He's a Keeper!!

And I'll say it for him-- He's very proud of you!!

Unknown said...

Abby did an interesting 'experiment' in her marraige and family class. She had to answer questions from one of her parents point of view. She chose her dad. Questions at first were general, and then it came down to..What do you think of Abby, what worries you about her, what do you love about her?, etc. She shared the experience with the class and later with us. She said it was so enlightening for her, and as she told about it, she was tearing up. It would definitely be an interesting thing to do, for all of us. Especially for us whose dads tirelessly worked to take care of his family and missed out on some of those precious intimate times that our moms got to have.