November 10, 2009

It's Perfect

I'm a firstborn. I believe that tells you more about me than just about anything else. I love praise - live for it actually. I like things to be "just so." I like black and white - gray areas drive me crazy.

Looking at my son, I can see all those firstborn tendencies. He wants things how he wants them. He corrects his little sister because he knows she isn't doing the right thing. He even tells her he's going to put her in time-out. He wants to be right and he wants to be affirmed.

It's that desire to be right...that pull towards perfectionism that gets us in trouble. We are our own worst critic. We long to be truly great and are crushed to learn we're just mediocre. We hate having to admit we're not who we want to be.

I want to be the perfect mom. I want to be the perfect [fill in the blank]. It's hard to know I'm not and never will be.

I'm struggling with postpartum depression. It's just one of the many gray areas I have to admit does exist.

4 confessions & pardons:

Nonna said...

You are the perfect mom in my eyes!

Postpartum depression is only a season in your life, hang in there you are truly loved.

BlueberryEyesDesign said...

Rest in the comfort that we don't have to be perfect, otherwise we wouldn't need Christ.

I do think you are pretty close to the perfect older sister...only one thing is lacking....YOU LIVE TOO FAR AWAY!!!!

Alicia said...

I have always looked up to you, and still- do as my wise older sister, who has been such an influential role model to me, no matter how imperfect you might be.


One of my favorite verses in the bible that gives me hope when I feel overwhelmed with life, is Psalm 37:24, "Though we stumble, we shall not fall headlong, for the Lord holds us by the hand"

Know that you are not alone in this! I will keep you in my prayers. I love you...

Guilty Mom said...

Wow - what awesome family I have! Love you all!